Saturday, October 4, 2014

AWA Hospitality and People Bringing it in for the Win

We got into Anacortes yesterday after getting the car window fixed and a trip to REI. Shopping stressed me out a little knowing I was out $600 from the break in. It's ok until I think, dang, that was a two week pay check. But I gotta remind myself not to think like that. It's easy to look on the brighter side when I have Mikal next to me just rolling with the punches and my AWA family, blood family and friends to support me. Also, when I went to the police station I was a bit annoyed because the officer hadn't returned my calls after 6 hours and I got there and he was on lunch. I sat outside the police station waiting a bit worried to leave my car out there with the busted window. I still locked the doors. 

I got into the room and the officer was this linebacker of a man but when he spoke his eyes softened and his voice was calm. He listened and nodded and asked for as many details. He took his time and most importantly he cared. This was such a different experience from the last time I had my things stolen, where the officer told me I was from flint, I should have known better and locked up my stuff. They not only didn't help me, but made it harder. This man was the opposite. He even went as far as to commit to checking craigslist, as soft an sweet as he was I sure wouldn't want to cross him, having three daughters my age he was taking this one personally. I left the station with a happy heart and a new found respect for law enforcement. 

The people at Louis auto glass were the same, very protective and wanting to do what they could to help, had me bring the car in the day before to lock it up in the shop so it wouldn't be out on the street with a busted window. They had it fixed by 10 am the next morning, even the insurence people were amazing!! I didn't even know that was possible? 

The boys were super supportive too. Letting us stay and just kinda do our thing like we were part of the family. I'm glad we stayed the extra night, the Nutt won over the not cat lover and now they want foster him for the two months we will be biking. 





I'm worried about leaving him. Nadjas house would be perfect, quiet little neighborhood and they are super responsible cat owners, but their cat is such a bully it took Nutt 6 hours to leave his box and that's only because I dumped him out. I could take him to my friends girlfriends house but that's a four hour drive and she days lots of cayotes and eagles. Then the boys up in Bellingham live on a busy street and I'm worried he will get run over. It's itching at me to just get a bob and take him on the tour. Mikal said she'd pull him. 

As soon as we got to anacortes Nadja welcomed us whole heartedly! Brought us in and gave us snacks and margaritas and all the mail from my mom and in the bottom of the mail bag a box of trail snacks and other goodies from her an Jim, It was like going to your grandmas house if your grandma was young and hott. 

We meant to go on an adventure around town, made it to the side of the island that overlooked the San Juan islands. We meant to get a tour but got distracted by a thrift shop then a bike shop and tai food. I have never met someone more hilarious at a restaurant as Nadja. 




We biked back home and all sat around chatting. They had to leave on a vacation this mornin but Jim helped me lock up the phat bike an the kayaks, showed me where to park the car an gave us a key to the house. I'm just so blown away by the hospitality. I guess if it was my house I would do the same thing without a second thought, but when I'm on this side it just fells so huge. I feel safe and cared for. So many good people in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment