Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pumpkin Envy and ER Visits

We got free pumpkins in humboldt yesterday. They kept popping loose and I Lost mine on an intense down hill. I'm suppose to drink thendickle whiskey as my penance. Now they all carved there's last night and we roasted the seeds. They have them strapped to the backs of their bikes with their red classing lights inside and they look pretty sweet. I'm having some pumpkin envy. 


There is a mountain pass we have been in the shadow of or a few days now. 6 mile climb , 2000 feet up to get out of the redwoods and onto the coast. 

Leggett is a weird town. We got kicked out of the post office parking lot so moved to another lot to make spa gettin. We got kicked out in the middle of cooking so I had to walk down the road with a pot of half cooked spagetti. We sent willie a mile up the hill to get food because everything in legit was closed. We ended up having the biggest lunch I'm having a hard time pedaling because every time my knees come up it swuishes my stomach. 

Willie came back with yogurt, cheese, bananas , peanut butter meat avacadoes, an lots more. So in our attempt to fuel up for this climb and lighten our loads we overstuffed and added weight to our packs.

Well I almost made it over the pass today. We had some epic down hills after a 2000 ft climb. It was like a video game. Flying through the sharp turns and cliffed out walls. The road canopied by trees winding in an out of shade and streams of sunlight. Never felt so free. 

The first set of downhill was the best. We reached a flat spot and got my go pro out. Lisa have met her headlamp strap an willie helped me ducktape my gopro to it and strap it to my forehead. We got going on another downhill. These turns were quicker and sharper. I was gaining speed and tried to slow down. I hit my back break and it started slipping. I was going to fast to do anything about it as I felt my bike slip out from under me, rear tire first. The. There was road and flesh and road and it felt like my bike would never stop sliding. I must have jumped up befor my bike stopped. I glimpsed my elbow and saw a mass of globby yellow and instantly grabbed it with my good hand and held hard pressure hoppin up and off the road. First instinct, get off the road. I heard Lisa yelling in front of me for willie to stop and Mel pulled up behind me. I think she grabbed all my stuff off te road and I lauded down on a pullout.  Willie an Lisa helped prop me up and I walked them through my vasal situation. They got me all comfy, flagged down a truck, the guy happened to be a very attractive fireman and him and willie washed out my wound and wrapped it up good. Willie also gave me a pain pill. 

We sat there for a while. I originally thought I would just bike the 40 miles to the hospital so waved off the fireman. In hind site that was dumb. It took me a while to get up. I couldn't stop laughing and making jokes but I was on the verge of passing out and trying to hold it together. 





We flagged down a truck, r was a forester an his dog was with him. We kinda out him on the spot by he took Mel and I into Westport. The pain pull kicked in in Westport. I could hardly talk to my mom on the phone and I went into the store to buy some snickers I just started giggling. 

Mel found us another ride with a forester and we got into fort brag. A couple there started asking Mel all these questions. We told them we were trying to get to the hospital but the elderly gentleman didn't seem to have much social awareness and he just sat there talking with Mel recording her on his go pro. 

I was feeling pretty great from the pain pill by the time I got to the ER and insisted on showing everyone the picture of my elbow. I mus have looked crazy walking in there with my bike shorts shredded to pieces and giggling uncontrollably. 

We took off the bandage and I made myself look. My fat was swelling outside my skin and there was blood globbing up and oozing down my arm. It kinda looked like a less orange salmon skene coming out of my arm. 

They numbed it at irrigated it more. I tried to watch but when the needles came out I got nauscious and rolled over. The doctor told me she was going to stitch me up and I was like oh no no no! How can they pull the skin that right? All that skin was fine? Don't I need a graph? If they stitch me up like this I'll rip them out when I bend my arm biking!?!


 
She stitched it up, only ten I think? She was halfway through and was like, Shoot!! Whoops, and smacked her hand to her forehead. "I meant to use the the disolvable stitches!" Then she proceeded to tell me it should work and that I just need to have someone cut them out in ten days. She was a few more in and twisting my arm to get a better angle. " man I should sit down to get more comfortable " I agreed, she kept trying to get a better view. she turned side to side looking for her stool. My stomach dropped at the string jerking in my arm. She also told me to turn and lay on my stomach when the bed was still propped up. It took her a minute to realize why I wasn't lying right. 

Finally she finished and the nurse wrapped me up and made me some bandage packages for the road. Gave me a script or antibiotics, a tetnis shop and some pain meds. I walked out into the waiting room where Mel and sat waiting for me watching the bikes and was super excited to see willie and Lisa walk up! I could t believe they made it! 

We hopped on our bikes and got a hospital discount at the super eight. We had pizza salad and wine for dinner. Life is good

No comments:

Post a Comment