Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20- And It Begins, For Real This Time











Last night was freezing, I really need to invest in a warmer sleeping bag. So the cold and my fear of monsters took turns waking me up, but sayin we were in our "beds" by seven, I probably still got a good nine hours.

We got an early start on the day. We both woke up before six and had camp broke down and were on the road a little after seven. It was so so cold and foggy and drizzly. Every hill we went up would make me sweat and my glasses fog up and any slowing down or stopping to make adjustments would send me into the shivers.













Joe is the faster rider, as I enjoy putzin along and checking things out, so I let him ride ahead. It's a lot less stressful like that, I don't waste energy worrying about keeping pace or missin that pretty rock to take a picture of.

There was thick fog, so when we got to the land bridge leading off the island the bays were empty from low tide. A seagull was busy with breakfast, it would grab a clam, fly up high, and drop in on a rock.

In Ellsworth I went the wrong way down a one way, met a guy at the grocery store who told me about two guys doing a trip from Miami to Portland Maine, ON PADDLE BOARDS, and ran into a group of bikers who were surprised when I told them my bike got that loud too, but not till after dinner...












So those hill mountain things I mentioned driving through a few days back, well we found them again. I have NEVER seen so many hills in my LIFE. Then the worst one that almost made me puke ended up being the one hill we didn't need to go up, (we went the wrong way).













There is an awesome bridge just outside Bucksport. We crossed it then realized Joe left his helmet on the other side, so I climbed a cliff in the extra time :)























Both of our bikes tires needed air so we were relieved to find a bike shop in Searsport. It was a weird shop with surf boards and skateboards and bikes piled to the ceiling, but the guy was nice and let us camp out back. We hung out in the dunkin doughnuts down the road to charge our stuff and get cleaned up for bed.

So exhausted, it was a long cold wet day.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone



Location:E Main St,Searsport,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment