Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30

So I woke up around five to thunder and light rain, figured it would be ok and went back to bed. I woke up a bit later to louder thunder and heavy rain, it was not ok. I looked around my tent and there was water EVERYWHERE, I was surrounded by a mote. I jumped up and grabbed all my stuff. Allen my neighbor, was there with an umbrella trying to help out. What good people.

I met three other tourists in the laundry room headed to Cape Cod who helped me too. I didnt have time to air my stuff out so i just threw tent and all into the drier.





My new neighbor friends had me over for breakfast, literally about seven pounds of bacon, a huge bowl of French toast, eggs, cinnamon rolls, coffee and just pure amazingness. One of the boys didn't join us though because his friend toothpasted his belly button when he was sleeping. We all hugged goodbye and they sent me on my way.

The ride was so nice, a lot of downhill with some killer ups, but nothing like yesterday. Bryan, a boy I met on crazy guy who was going to ride with me but couldn't because of class, was gonna pick me up. But when he waved me down only about 15 miles into my ride I was surprised. He and his friend Taylor helped me load up my bike and we were on our way to Carmel NY.

His house is so AMAZING, it sits back in some hills and the backed leads to a woods and trails. His family is so nice and his mom is from Bolivia and was getting food ready for a cookout. Not much distracts me from food, but canoeing down the Hudson river happens to be one of those things. All weekend cars topped with canoes, kayaks, or trailing fishing boats have been passing me. All I wanted was to get on the water and now its happening!

Bryant and Taylor gave me a tour of all the local hills, I was tired just going up them in a car, wow.





We went to Cold Springs to hop in the river, the Hudson is HUGE! Taylor sat in front and Bryan in the back, I got the little low chair in the middle and had to stretch my arms up to paddle and was a direct target for Taylors over splash, so worth it though!








We started going under this railroad bridge into a nature preserve, the water was glass. The tide was low so we decided to turn around after bottoming out a few times.

We fought the current and made it back into the river. West Point was just around the corner, this morning I had no idea where it was and now I'm canoeing to it!













With three of us in the canoe, we were not breaking any speed barriers and every time a little boat came by we scrambled to get perpendicular with the wake, Taylor and I both thought forsure we were goin down.






We turned the corner and there it was! The place where America's future leaders are trained, according to Bryan. The campus, if that's what you call it did seem to give off a feeling of intimidation, either way it was incredible in the setting sun.







If just seeing it wasn't enough we paddled up another mile squeezing the canoe between these two rocks and got out to go for a little hike. Bryan assured us if we didn't go past a certain point there was no threat of getting arrested or shot.

It was AMAZING!


























We didn't get shot or arrested.







Climbing back into the canoe Taylor went down, he was a a champ about it! That kid has some good one liners that about sent me cracking up over the edge as we dodged wakes trying to get back. The sun was setting and the river became even more beautiful.

I could defiantly be a river rat :)







And then we came home to this, I love moms!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment