Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 2- Munising to Curtis

Last night was FREEZING. Kayla was smart and had two huge mattresses to sleep on and I had to fight the urge to shove her off and take them for myself ; ). It was really really cold when I had to get out of my sleeping bag, crawl over Kayla to get out of the tent and pee behind a tree, that's the worst.

Woke up with the sun and all I wanted to do was break down camp and get on the road, I didn't realize it was only five in the morning. So I was excited to hear the fire popping around seven and see Gordie getting it ready for breakfast. We packed up camp annihilated our food and were out of there by eight. They dropped me off at Scott's where I packed up my bike, left them a thank you and was on the road by nine.

The morning was crisp and clear. I knew I had to get to Curtis and a storm was expected and I did not want to meet in on the twenty-five mile long Seney Stretch. I washed up in a gas station and the wind picked up and tried to keep me from getting up the Wetmore hill. I stopped in Pamaida to get some headphones and they confirme
d it, the storm was coming, and someone didn't have a rain tarp....

I listened to Beautiful Boy, it got me through the stretch. I had about thirty miles to go and the storm was just over my shoulder. I debated on locking myself in the bathroom of M28 but knew I HAD to keep going, so I bought my self a chocolate bar and put my sorry butt back on the bike.

I really didn't think I was going to make it. I stopped at the bar in Germfask and the checked the weather channel for me. The storm was right over our heads, I guess I already knew that. I called Marg, the lady I would be staying with. She seemed really nice, but I had caught her off guard, she thought I wasn't coming until next week and she had somewhere to be at six but insisted I come. She even offered to come pick me up.

The road from Germfask to Curtis is probably the hilliest road in the Upper Peninsula. I was hungry and grumpy and the hills kept coming. I was half way up a steep one and asked a boy in his driveway where a certain road was. He had no idea, crap... thirty seconds later, there was the road. I found the house and Marg and Mike met me and helped me bring in all my stuff. I liked them instantly!

It was 5:34 and Marg invited me to the girls night she was going to at six. I hopped in the shower, hopped in the car, she picked up a friend and we were on our way to Chamberlin's, a well known bed and breakfast.

The place was beautiful! It had once been an old train station that was now adorned by a white wrap around covered porch that sat on the lake. There were lots of people, wine, and appetizers. Marg and her friend introduced me to their friends, dinner and desert was AMAZING. By the end of it we were all ready for bed.

Miles: 58

No comments:

Post a Comment