Thursday, November 20, 2014

Christmas in Santa Barbara

Cam took me on a quick bike ride around ucsb this morning an we parted ways so he could get some work done. I thought about sneaking into a lecture but didn't want to leave my bike out with the bags. That's is one of te most stressful parts of tourin other than the safety issues, is constantly staying with my bike so things dong get stolen. I feel like I have a child. 

I stumbled into a bike shop to see if they had a tire. I have been searching for a 26 1.5 schwalbe or Vittoria a few years now. I've given up finding one an just use it as an excuse to stop at every shop I see. The owner felt bad he couldn't help me out and they were super excited about my trip and gave me a water bottle. That's exactly what I needed after leaving mine in Berkley! 

The boys aren't quite here yet and my friend Kyle from high school is still working. I need to get some errands don but got distracted by the emergency room. None of the clinics have been able to do anything for me or want me to schedule an appointment. 

The er room was pretty empty except for a family. I asked the receptionist if anyone could take a quick peak at my elbow, that I'd fallen off my bike a few weeks ago and wanted to make sure it was healing right. The dad overheard me and was excited, he had toured across the country from portland to portland when he was my age and had done the legget pass section where I crashed. The receptionist came out to get me and instead we all sat around and watched my video. She had done the same thing! Whiped out on some water and put a hole in her elbow. We say there swapping stories and pictures then se took me in the back and helped me clean up my arm, gave me new bandage supplies and got a twin photo. 

Kyle picked me up on the side of the road in a European work van. He's always been into cars and now works for a consulting firm that tests them and writes how they can be improved. It makes me so proud to see friends from doing well.

We went out to lunch and just exploded into stories and catching up. A lot has happened in eight years but also a lot is still the same. 





No comments:

Post a Comment