Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Solo

It's my first day riding solo. I made it ten miles before getting lost. I have been dragging my feet, waiting for Josh to catch up. His group ended in San franscisco as well so we are going to ride together.

My elbow is healing weird. The edges of the swiss cheese skin are starting to bubble up and curl in. I'm nervous it's going to heal like that and leave a horrible hole in my arm. 

I got stuck in a detour leaving Santa Cruz right next to a dermatology/plastic surgery center and went in to see if they'd look at it. The lady at the desk said I had to make an appointment and they were booked for the rest of the week. I was walking out pretty defeated when a lady in a scrub top ushered me out quietly. She was being sneaky so I wondered if she was one of the doctored and overheard the conversation an was now comming to my rescue. 

Close, she told me she was a nurse an asked to see my arm. I peeled back my banadges to the greenish glop that used to be smooth, pretty brown skin. And she instantly told me I needed to make an appointment. She didn't like the way the sides were rolling in or the way my two oozing creators were healing. I thanked her and called my mom. 

So that was my bike out of Santa Cruz, dragging my feet, popping into doctors offices, hoping one would step out on their lunch break, see me and rush over to check it out and give me a magical cure. Instead, they told me they didn't take my insurence. 

I biked to a state beach just outside of town. It was only two and the sun was shining. I threw on my suite, grabbed my towel and my book and headed for the sand. 

It was obvious I wasn't from around there. The beach was nearly empty except for a few surfers in full body wet suites and some people waking on the beach in sweatshirts. here I am, reading a book in my bikini, white ass a shining

Ended up talking to some surfers, he walked right up to me and asked if they were patrolling. He didn't want to get in trouble for the beer. We sat on the beach till sunset, not too worried because the campground was just around the corner. 

Still no word from josh. Campground is closed, warm shower is an option but she's six miles away and it's dark. I know I'm going to be terrified camping alone, but I tell myself I'm being silly and  it's probably more dangerous to bike the six miles to her house. I have an irrational fear of psychopaths. I set up camp thinking josh wil be here soon. As soon as I'm set up I get a message saying he's 25 miles north in davenport, had a rough day and needed to set up camp. Shit. 

So here I am, too scared to make dinner because the sound of my stove will summon the psychopath And drown out their approaching footsteps. 

So whelp, hope I can sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment