Friday, November 21, 2014

Paper Cups and Yogurtland

I have this thing whenever I go to resturaunts or take out places I like to see how little trash or excess material I can get them to give me. I get a lot of interesting responses. It blows my mind how many people are completely confused by the idea of not wanting a bag filled with napkins and plastic wear for my mc chicken, (which I shouldn't be eating in the first place) that I'm goin to eat five feet from where they hand it to me. 

I just had that experience on state street in Santa Barbara at a Yogurtland. Now I really love Yogurtland and the short Latino man at the counter was very nice and let me sample the different flavors but when I asked to use my coffee cup from this morning for my yogurt instead of one of their paper cups he refused. 

I tried to explain to him I was trying to minimize trash and he just couldn't get that idea and just continued to shake his head and say no. I even showed him my cup and told him I would still pay the same price but he continued to refuse. 

I almost cried with frustration. If I can't get one small Latino man working at Yogurtland to let me use my own paper cup for a snack, how is there any hope on bringing sustainable awareness to this world. 

I thanked him for his time and the samples and walked back out to my bike.

I want to do something much bigger in this world and I'm just not sure how.

No comments:

Post a Comment