Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Laundry and Blind Dates

So I'm in the laundry mat in slow basically naked. Trying to wrap up some thank yous for the poly adventure house that hosted us for the last few nights. Pretty incredible thing they have going on. A collection of ten people who work for this group taking underclass men out on adventures on the weekends and hosting couch surfers during the week.

The boys already left, biking to Lompoc. I'm going to try hitchbiking to Goleta I catch up with C brow he leaves tomorrow. Kinda nervous but all I can do is the best I can.

I feel pretty stupid on the California st south entrance ramp to the 101. My bike is leaned up agains the "do not enter" sign and my thumb is out. 

I'm not having any luck, most people are in cars and probably intimidated to pick up phatty. I had one guys slow down enough to ask where I was going but sped off before I had a chance to answer. 

It took a solid hour to get a ride. This super cute california Barbie mom going to the whole food store then to the gym to lay our and read a book. The was real sweet and got me five miles down the road. Asked a few friends at the whole foods store, but no one was heading south. I headed to the receiving room to get some cardboard to make a sign an the lady at the coffee stand gave me a marker. I wrote Goleta out in big bubble letters and headed to the next freeway entrance. 

Not a bad spot. Just past a stop sign and infront of a dirt pulloff. I had new confidence holding my sign. 

I stood there waiving and smiling, felt odly like I was in a backwards parade.

A silver car pulled over and a middle age gentle man stepped out and shook my hand. I was relieved to have a normal person come to my rescue. We did a bit of reorganizing but got my bike in the back seat with the bags. He was heading home from work, inspects cars after there leases are up and has a pretty far commute. He was heading past Santa Barbara, 103 miles a way and could take me the whole way!

We chatted the whole time. He has a son my sisters age who is about to get drafted into the major leagues, a seventeen year old pitcher throwing 94 miles an hour. If Alena didn't already have an awesome boyfriend I would try to set them up.

So now I'm at a mc Donald's on state street in Santa Barbara getting my bearings and finding a game plan for the day. Cameron, the guy I have been set up to go on a date with won't be free till seven so I have some time to explore. I'm super curious to see how this goes. More happy about letting Mary get me into this situation. She looked like a little girl getting away with stealing the last cookie when she was planning it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment