Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Santa Cruz Layover

I'm sitting outside Peets Coffee and Tea,drinking my "coffe au lait". A fancy name and steeply priced watered down coffee. 

An older gentleman pushing his bike stopped next to me and struck up a conversation. I assumed he was homeless and trying to ask for money but he starts off saying "now dear, do you like to read?" I do. "Well I'll tell ya, I'm peddling my bike and peddling my book, on travel and food and love" I explained I was on my bike and had little room for books. He understood but couldn't seem to pull himself away. His son is a council man here and had ridden his bike across the country and told me how beautiful the ride ahead will be. He went to walk away and stopps and pulls out my wallet. " now I've had a good day selling my book, I prepare to thankfully decline whatever he is about to give me, but he surprises me. He takes out a bill and begins to fold it, "now dear, I want you to take this dollar to Mexico, and when you get to Mexico, and get back to washignton to where you live, I want you to give this dollar to someone in need." He hands me the dollar an I can't help but smile, I love the idea. " it's called a mitzfa" he says, "it will bring you safe keeping on your journey." I thanks the man and watched him peddle away.

M and D left for Santa Barbara this morning, but not before playing a few quick sets of pumping with M. She has the ping pong table set up right in the middle of their beautiful kitchen. They are heading down to meet there son C, who is studying to get his PhD in psychology. M told him all about him when she was a guest at the Glacier lodge this summer. We sat floating in the lagoon, su shining on our faces talking about life. They were some of the guests who made a special place in my heart and they have now opened their home to me. 

M was responsible for their eldest boys marriage. She met a young lady in an airport she had a feeling about her. She introduced them and the rest was history. Thy have a family tradition of setting one another up and it has worked for many of them. Now she is trying to set up C an I. Very cute, she can't stop smiling when she plots the best way to do it. This morning she walks up to me with a small vintage bottle of wine asking if it was too big. I was confused at first then realized her plan. She wanted me to take it to him when I biked through, playing it off like she meant to bring it but forgot an I was doing a favor to bring it. Then she she smiles, shrugs her shoulders, palms in the air, " and the rest will be history"

She is such a lovely lady and now I have a date in Santa Barbara.

No comments:

Post a Comment