Thursday, July 14, 2011

July 14

So Tyler thought it would be a good idea to call me at 630 in the morning. I was dead asleep and he was on his way to pick up some seed for work. I like when he wakes me up and figured I'd pass right back out but I had to pee and one of the guys was in the shower. By the time he was done I was to awake to sleep. I hate when that happens.

Nick and I got up at the same time. I had cereal and he ate leftover duck. It's his birthday and his girlfriend got him an iPod touch, he was pretty geeked.

I dragged my feet fettuccine of there. They were going to west palm to go snorkeling. They offered me a ride, eighty miles south, it was tempting but I passed.

Finally got some ducktape and fixed my mirror, the velcero was on its last moments of life.

I hit a few dead ends before I got on track, took an old road non miles down the sound to pick my route back up in fort pierce. Once I got back on a1a I found a nice place on the beach to pull over, hop in the clear blue ocean, shower and make some lunch. I love these road side put stops. However I've been here for almost two hours and need to get back on the road. I really wish these clouds would make themselves useful and block the sun and rain or something, I'm FRYING.

So I think the cyclist shouted "great rack!" from the other side of the road. I hope he was talking to patty..

I hit a wall. I'm so tired and starving. It's only 15 miles to hobe sound, but it's so hott and the wind is so strong.

I'm in a not good part of town again, my water is almost gone and the little I do have tastes like old watered down vanilla Advocare meal replacement shakes, I might vomit.

I just pedaled my butt off to get out of there to this corner cause I coulda sworn there was a gas station to fill up bottles. There's not, I could cry.

A ball park drinking fountain just saved my life, not only did the water not taste like swamp, it was cold.

I plugged in the campground into my phone, another ten miles! So much for stopping for dinner or getting there before dark.

My gps took me the wrong way, the road just turned to dirt and it just doesn't feel right, it wasn't right, at least I caught it before I got another two miles down that nothin road.

I really jade backtracking, I debated fence hopping to save a few miles, but patty looked at me all like "he'll no girl, if you think my fat ass gonna climb that fence, you crazy!"

I figured it was only three miles out of my way, but the further I pedaled the more upset I became. I was so tired an so hungry, I feel like I might just break down. The hills wernt bad, it's just that wind. If it would tuen around I'd be at the equator by tomorrow dinnertime.

Brown sigh is good, only another forth of a mile! I'm so beat I don't even care how much it costs.

Instantly the ranger who greeted me made me feel better. For as nasty as the one was at the last state park, he was that much better and a little more.

He was so bike friendly, knew I didn't need all that extra paperwork and didn't push me to keep it. I asked how much it was to camp, 28, just like the last one. However this time when I asked about primitive, the two rangers looked at eachother then back at me and were like well... How much? I wanted to know. "5$ plus tax" no way! Where is it? "five miles" crap I thought" I'm so tired and it's almost dark and I already got really lost trying to get here and went way out of my way. "ok so what are my options?" "well.." he said, "we aren't supposed to do this, but any state park has to take in a biker if it's dark and put them up. There is a place to camp right up front here with all the utilities, but that will cost you. However, there is another place about two and a half miles down the road meant for youth groups. Youre not enough people to call a group but we can put you there. There are new bathrooms, water and electric. Now this is the thing, we are bending rules so you dont know anything, you were trying to get back to the primitive site but got lost and confused in the dark so set up camp there." I couldn't believe what this ranger was telling me, this was exactly the sort of thing I needed after today.

It was pretty far back there and pulled into the site just before sundown. I was expecting nice new air conditioned showers, not the two room building with broken locks and flickering lights. I walked party to the nearest site, there were only five and I was the only person around. The tent was up in record time, the mosquitoes were killing me. I'm starvin too, but the bugs are so bad, my sticky sweat is a magnet for them so all I could think about was a shower.

As soon as I got in there and realized the locks were broke my gut was giving me a not so good feeling. I tried to shake it off, I told myself it was just the hunger and exhaustion.

I took a long shower, really cause I kept hearing something outside and I was to scared to leave.

I tried looking out the vents to see if I could see anything, but it only let me see what was just outside the door, not around the corner where my killer was sure to be lurking. The full moon is not easing this sick feeling. I want to call Tyler or my dad, but I'm petrified to make a sound. I want to hear EVERYTHING.

I packed up all my stuff and put it in my bag so my hands would be free, other than for my phone. I considered dialing in 911 so all I would have to do is press send.

I opened the door so slow and tiptoed out into the dark and peered around the corner, I didn't see anything, but it was pitch black so I just hustled back to my camp, stopping first o listen and see if there was anything out of the ordinary. There is NO way I'm getting back out of my tent to make dinner so I shoved my face with the granola denise gave me back in Flagler.

I called Tyler back and was hardly talking above a whisper, "I'm so creeped out right now you have no idea" he told me not to worry, if anyone touched me he'd come down here and, well he didn't know, but he'd do something. Easy for him to say, he was safe up in Virginia. He tried to calm me down with this song that I probably would have loved if I wasn't too busy listing for approaching footsteps.

He had I go take his dad to the store so I called my dad to let him know what was going on. I knew he could tell how freaked out I was and was trying to change the subject, but when I told him how far away from people I was I could tell my sick feelin rubbed off on him a little.

That's it I told him after a few minutes o talking, I'm packin up. I really didn't think I would do it. The last thing I wanted to do was make a ruckus. I got all my stud ready in my tent then broke that thing down so fast I could have won survivor. The hole time I left my phone out with my dad on the line, just in case.

Relief! It felt soo good to be on the bike and moving. I didn't care if I left anything, I'd get it in the morning. I also didn't have a hard time seeing the road with that full moon.

Tyler called back as soon as te road split, he seems to have good timing with these things, did that in fort clench too. I put him in my handlebar bag and road around in the dark trying to read signs, then I saw lights, then I saw campers! Instantly the sick feelin in my gut was gone. I was safe :)

I set my tent back up assuring myself I was indeed the BIGGEST chicken in the world, but man, I did it with a smile.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone













Location:Pineapple Square SW,Vero Beach,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment