Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6

So I'm defiantly sick, not bad, but congested and soar throat. Not fun to ride with a head full of snot.







Evan had to go to a brief at 730 this morning so we both got up early. It's a bummer always sayin goodbye to such good people. Riding off base though was pretty cool because everyone was goin in for work. It was like a gated highschol and I was skipping class.







I dont know where I'm stayin at. I already have in 14 miles before 830 and Savannah is only another 28 away. I'll probably just check out the city for a bit then head south when it cools down.







I made it into savannah before noon, I'm pretty sure I took the expressway for a bit, but at least there was a nice shoulder.

I still have no idea where I'm going to stay but I found SCAD am about to take a tour with a bunch of freshman. The lady just said free coffee and shuttle tour. Sweet.

So this tour is pretty awesome. They put us on a shuttle and are driving us all around the city going into the different buildings and studios. Our tour guide is a 22 year old from Mexico and she is HILARIOUS and very informative. Best of all, it's free :)

I've had a bad feeling all day, even real bad dreams last night. I'm sick and tired and couldn't find a place to stay in savannah so I tried to make a break for it and beat the storm and get to a campground 20 miles south. Well to get out of the city I had to go through the bad part, there is glass everywhere and my gut is tellin me to get the heck out of here. I'm almost out and all of a sudden I hear a POP and my bike starts wobbling out of control. I look down and I'm about to run over my pannier. I try to slow down and get it under controll but I was goin down hill with a tailwind and there was no shoulder in two lane traffic. I hit sand, Patty skidded out and I went flying. It was like falling of a tube behind a speedboat, I bounced and rolled and skidded about ten feet before I came to a stop. I looked up to see my bike and water bottles scattered on the road and everyone just kept driving. I waited for it to be clear and dragged patty off the road trying to access the damage. My rack was not hanging the right way, upside down still dragging my front bag. I tried to put the bolt back in but something is blocking it. The bolt had snapped in half out of no where.

I still can't believe no one stopped. I stop take some deep breaths and assess myself. My left knee is a little banged up and I can't really feel my elbow. It's already sticking out an inch, but I think it's just fluid. I can still kind ofove it. I
Not in a good part of town and still don't know what to do.

I didn't break down, I did get pretty choked up when I called the bike shop, they went any help, neuter was te rv campground a few miles away.

I just looked a my rack, the bolt was busted and the other on was loose. I still can't find my multiple tool and o tried to get te chunk of bolt out of party's fork, but it was useless. I ceases in front of family dollar and was thinking about ducktap, but then my bags wouldn't fit on. I remembered my zip ties and zip tied the crap out of my rack, took all the heavy stuff out of that bag and tested it out. It worked!

I can't really bent my elbo, but the way I hold my arms when I ride doesn't bother it. I took party for a spin in the parking lot and she seemed ok, so I hit the road.

Traffic was still kinda busy and there wasn't much shoulder, but hen in two miles a shoulder started, then a bike lane! I couldn't believe it, a shoulder, a bike lane, AND a tail wind. Its amazing how fast things change.

It was still fifteen miles to the campground, I got there on no time, well almost there.. There were tons of hotels and one had a sigh that said "weekly special $27.99" no way I thought, then say the resteraunt, must be a dinner special. I rode by then thought better of it and turned around to check it out. A little Indian girl walked out, I asked her about the special and she said I was only if you stayed the whole week. My heart sunk a little as I went to leave. "well," I said as I looked back at her, "how much is it for just one night?" "tirty dollars". I thought I heard her wrong, holy crap I thought, that's cheaper than the campground.

So now I'm laying here in air conditioning all showered up and two beds to myself. Sweet.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Callawassie Dr,Okatie,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment