Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1

So I made it through my first solo camping in field\yard. I didn't sleep so well though, and when I did it was on my phone. I woke up and it was dead, no gps or camera, dead.

I packed up and battled the fifty slugs on my tarps and made my best guess in the direction I should be going.

It was beautiful riding through the country side along the Shawangunk mountains, next time I dont sleep on my phone I'll show you pictures.

Well I rode and rode, but didn't see any cities. All I wanted was to wash my face, eat, and brush my teeth. After 17 miles I found a little deli and the ladies there let me use their bathroom. Now I'm chillen at a bank in Bloomingburg charging the phone and making oatmeal in the parking lot.

It's so hot and I have been going up the side of this ridge for a few hours now. I know I'm exhausted because I am on the edge of tears. I just want to go swimming and take a nap in the shade :)

What I just got in, NY, was way better than a nap or swimming. I was near the breaking point when I walked in the tiny gulf gas station to get a Gatorade. The lady at the counter let me use the bathroom in back and let me chill for a bit to cool down. Then as fate would have it, as I was walking out, this guy, Ty, was walking in. He asked about the trip and Brenda, the lady who helped me out in the beginning, got into the conversation too. Ty bought me an ice tea and we sat and exchanged stories. He did a similar adventure in England and Scotland when we was my age for eight months! He did this awesome Scottish impersonation of an inntaker who took him in and the lads at the bar who bought him a whiskey telling home not to say they never did nothing for him. When we were chatting Brenda came over and dropped three packages of mixed nuts in front of me, exactly what I needed! There were even chocolate covered raisins. Ty left then came back to give me a Mother of guatulepe sticker he brought back with him, so I put in on my bike :) then I met Gilbert, because he took a picture of me and Ty. He gave me a WHOLE package of cheese, another favorite. Then I got a phone call from warm showers, so after this storm passes I'll have a safe place to stay. This is why I travel, for moments like this when I meet these amazing people, thank you all so much.















From there to Port Jervis they said was all down hill. Man it felt good going down the other side of the ridge. A storm had blown over so the weather broke, so I sat back and coasted down the mountain side munching on my cheese and peanuts.

But all good things do come to an end. At the bottom of the valley the heat was back and when i crossed into Jersey, I lost my data for my phone so my gps was out and I had to guess the best way to get to Scott and tiffany's.

I went down Old Mine Road for about eight miles and only saw two people. I got the gps working for a minute, long enough to figure out a route, but when I got to the road I was supposed to turn on my stomach dropped. Something wasn't right here. The road was paved but crumbling, a one track, looked more like a path and trees were starting to fill it in. I knew I shouldn't go on it, but I didn't know how long it would take me to go around. It had been such a long miserably hot day I just needed to get done. I made the turn. It was up a ridge so I was movin slow. It was eighty degrees and I had goosebumps. I had this terrible image of a man with a knife stepping out of the woods and pacing towards me. I had my hand on my pepper spray and ran through the possible scenarios in my head. my best bet would to turn around and fly down the hill. I pedaled as fast and as quiet as I could. At the top the road came to a t. I guessed left, not wanting to stop and break concentration for a second to check the gps. I heard cars now, pedaled faster, then broke out into the main highway, just a mile from my destination. My heart was pounding, but a wave of relief washed away the goosebumps and I headed to my new home.

I met Tiffany first,'she was our working in the yard and we gave eachother a big sweaty hug.

Tbc...
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:County Road 62,YOUNGSVILLE,United States

2 comments:

  1. it was a pleasure to meet you today.... take care MIKE & BERN
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/tourdemiller7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I should have ran away w/you! I could have helped you w/the slugs. I know a couple and they were easy to get rid of! :)
    Be safe and Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete