Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23

I just left the campground in Avon and another amazing family. We woke up pretty early and Eileen made us breakfast, bacon, eggs, and toast with some of her special homemade jelly. They really do feel like family and John is defiantly a younger version of Andy.

Carl helped me fold up my tarps before we took pictures and said our goodbyes, it was so cute them blowing me kisses and
Sending me air hugs as John led me out of the campground. He showed me around harbor road then I heard someone yell my name, it was a boy i had met on the peer yesterday, they were packing up getting ready to head back to Virginia.

John has such a good head on his shoulders, i can't believe the manners and maturity he has. Wise beyond his years. He took me as far as the highway, hugged goodbye and I was on my way.

I think it took me about an hour to ride the six or so miles from Avon to buxton. It's pancake flat, but that wind is strong coming straight at me from the southwest.

Well I made it to Hatteras to get on the ferry, they put me at the front of the line but said I'm the last one to get on.

I feel bad because I'm just so tired and hungry, therefore grouchy and that's always when everyone wants to talk to me, and I'm kind of stuck on a ferry. I did meet some really nice folks though.

Off the ferry on orakoke the smoke wasn't as bad so the sun was beating down and man it was warm. I hid out in the bathrooms and made some food. Then this guy started talking to me. I was a little edgy at first and had my wall up but he really was a super nice family guy from Deleware and his son was a soccer player just a little older than Alena. I knew he knew I was whipped and wanted to give me my space but we kept talking and I am always happy to meet good people, plus he had to wait for someone on the ferry to bring him his keys. They ended up helping me out, gosh the world is good.

I was pretty much beat and ready to nap next to the toilets in the grass when I happened to glance up and see two loaded bicycles and flannel shirts. My stuff was still scattered on the ground so I just started running after them yelling to the ferry guy to tell them to stop. Then I realized this was stupid and I better just go get patty and try to catch them.

The wind was pickin up and I barreled into it, I may have hit seven miles an hour. I pedaled and pedaled, catching them a little. I seen a swerve then they stopped and I greeted them with a huge smile and a handshake.

They are two 24 year olds from philly who, while at the bar, decided to ride there bikes to Florida. So a bunch of their friends bet they couldn't, they bought bikes and headed out.

We talked go a bit in the street then decided we didn't want to die so headed back into the wind.


Tonight was so much fun, we got into orackoke, found their hotel (they are letting me bum there too) got showers and turned into porch moniker meeting out porch neighbors who happen to be AWESOME. A couple from north Carolina and a guy, Curtis, who gave us all a beer.

We walked to a place called basins for dinner. Alex and I split a large chicken pizza and a pitcher. It's so great to have good company. On the way back we got icecream and caught in this mini hurricane thing. Everyone was running, it was dark, the rain and sand was blowing like crazy, and we couldn't stop laughing.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone







Location:United States

No comments:

Post a Comment