Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30










So it's almost eleven and we are still in he hotel. I think we all slept like rocks until nine, air-conditioning is a beautiful thing. I ate the sorry excuse for continental breakfast and the boys went to a restaurant while I packed up.










We headed out around eleven, pretty warm. We stopped at a gas station and two real souther guys, dirty from work, asked how far I have been riding. When I said Maine, he staggered back and asked in all seriousness if I had a pistol. I said no and he looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't get a real good vibe from him at first so when he asked to sit down I said I had to go see what the guys were doing. But then we got talking and he seemed all right and was just really concerned about me. "So you need any money? Do you need any food? I mean, Florida is a long way. "

Situations like that make me feel uncomfortable. I mean, who doesn't need money? How am I supposed to respond? So I just kind of stammered as he pulled out two twenties and asked if that was enough. My jaw about hit the floor. I was not going to take any more of this mans hard earned money.

The guys were taking there time, havin a smoke so I went back in to talk to my new angles. They were on lunch break from putting in heating and cooling systems and the one who helped me out had not always been so kind. Used to have a bit of a temper that got him in some big trouble I can't talk about. But I eases up a little when he showed me the pictures of his daughters and said he found god a few years ago and was baptized and what not so he has turned himself around. We even said grace before eating the pizza he gave me a slice of, pretty cool.










On the road again it was super hott but it was only supposed to be like a forty mile day. We were heading north again so we had a sweet tailwind so we were flying.




It's awesome to have my iPod back, I don't know how I rode a month without it. I love the mix it has, all the stuff from when I was twelve, nelly, backstreet boys, destinys child. Then all my dads stuff, Billy Joel, hootie and the blowfish, nirvana. I have a lot of audio books on there too so when it plays on shuffle I get a lot of 1984 and David Sedaris.




We took a wrong road. I stopped a bit and asked if we were supposed to turn but alex said no. 2.5 miles down the road he changed his mind. It wasn't to bad though, there was a cross road.







It's kind of frustration riding out here. There are no shoulders and they are all trucking roads. Like HUGE trucks, and some with logs. I never should have watched final destination.

We passed a fire station and I needed to fill up my bottles. I wasn't gonna stop but figured we may not see civilization for another fifteen miles. I walked in and was instantly engulfed in air conditioning. The lights were off so I didn't expect to see the three guys sitting in a lounge type area watching tv. They showed me where to fill up my bottles and asked me the normal questions and told me the same stuff I hear a hundred times a day, except the do you have a pistol question, that is a south Carolina thing.

They told me to sit down and enjoy the AC. I did. Two of the guys were from Michigan and the other was from upstate New York by Westpoint where Bryan took me canoeing.

The guys came in a little while later, I made noodles and they gave me a Georgetown fire dept shirt. They told us not to stay in Andrews, which was our plan. They told me to go to the firehouse because it would be safe there next to the police station.







So yeah, Andrews is pretty sketch. I rode to the motel with the guys and i was surprised to see all the people kinda just loitering around. I told alex ima go check out he fire house and got the heck out of there.

It looked pretty empty and I was walking toward the city hall door when the ambulance drove up and two guys got out. "hey sweetie, what you looking for?" that was a good question, safety around here didn't look to promising. "well the guys up
In plesantville" pleasanthill he corrected, "sorry, Plesanthill, sent me here. You think I could throw up my tent out back?" he kind of just stared at me like I was about to attack. Then told me to move my bike next to the ambulance and reluctantly had me follow him into the fire house.

To make a long story short, patty got to come in too, I got a shower, my laundry is clean, I had pop corn and now have snacks for tomorrow, even a chocolate bar. The younger guy gave me his room and the older made the bed up all nice with new sheets. We talked about the city and it's history, politics and watched deadliest catch.

My mom just asked me if the firehouse I was staying at was operating or closed up, she knows me too well.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment